Are you the type to want to help others out to the point that you have a tendency to neglect your own needs? Then according to the Enneagram model, you could potentially be The Helper. The Helper is known to be quite altruistic, generous, as well as empathetic. You are incredibly attentive and will help those around you in any possible way that you can. You also crave acceptance from others as well in addition to putting them first. The Helper is also known as The Caregiver, The Nurturer, or The Giver.
Like other Enneagram types, The Helper has both strengths and weaknesses. If you have this Enneagram type, then you would be the one to recognize these traits. Let’s go over the strengths of the Type 2 right now.
The Strengths Of The Helper
You as The Helper would be quite good with:
- Being supportive as well as encouraging of those who are around you
- You immediately see the needs of others
- You are warm
- You have a positive attitude
- You will be dedicated to the task that is at hand
- You have a desire to know everyone
Those are really good strengths, however, the Helper has some weaknesses too which will be delved into now.
The Weaknesses Of The Helper
The Type 2 weak points are:
- Looking for approval from others
- Being overbearing, or being perceived that way
- Not knowing your own needs as you keep putting it at the back burner
- Very offended by criticism
- If you feel unappreciated you can become possessive and you’ll make it clear that you will not put up with being taken for granted.
The challenge for you as The Helper is to not forget about your own personal needs and to stop putting them at the back burner. You need to recognize your value and it is more than what you can offer to everyone else around you. It is easy to avoid negative emotions but the healthiest thing is to work through them.
Now that you know more about The Helper, the type of careers for this type is best based on the traits. The ideal careers are:
- Human resources manager
- Customer service representative
- Religious leader
- Non-profit CEO
If you are The Helper and you had gotten into a career that is not fitting for your type, you may be full of regrets. However, it is never too late to start fresh with a new one, if you really want it, that is. If you are unsure whether or not you are The Helper, but you have traits, you can always take the Enneagram test.