In addition to the current threat we’re all facing with the coronavirus, our bodies are pretty much always under attack from millions of microorganisms with which we share the planet.
That’s why it is important not to take your immune system for granted. But what can you do to help keep your immune system healthy and ready to shield your body from infection?
Strengthen Your Immune System with Your Lifestyle Choices
1. Find ways to relax. Because stress produces many different effects on the endocrine systems, scientists believe that immune function may be diminished by chronic stresses. There are a number of techniques to help you relax, such as deep breathing or yoga, which can reduce mental and physical stress as well as lower blood pressure and slow down your heart rate.
2. Get enough sleep. Besides leaving you feeling sluggish, irritable and forgetful, not getting enough sleep can temporarily reduce the activity of certain cells in your immune system by up to 50 percent. Strive to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
3. Feed your immune system well. Not getting enough calories and getting too much dietary fat may weaken your body’s immune response. This is one important reason why nutritionists recommend a well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy products and whole grains.
4. Get physically active. Regular exercise helps to strengthen your immune system, cardiovascular system, heart, muscles and bones. Being active also stimulates the release of endorphins, improves concentration and other mental functioning, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and may lower cortisol and other stress hormones.
Strengthen Your Immune System with the Right Foods
Biochemical researchers have identified certain phytochemicals that aid the body in keeping your immune strong and combating disease at all times. As an overall guideline, experts recommend that we consume diets rich in whole grains, raw fruits and vegetables.
Eating beans, raw nuts and unheated vegetable oils will enhance your immune system to provide optimal protection from disease.
One of the best things you can do for your body is to eat at least twelve servings of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables every single day. These foods are packed with the things that our bodies need; natural, non-synthetic source of Vitamins A,B, C, and E, disease-fighting antioxidants, minerals like potassium, calcium, phosphorous, and copper.
These days too many Americans get their vitamins from synthetic sources that are isolated and chemically induced. The best way to get this nutrition is from the good earth, directly from the source, from fruits and vegetables.
Eat All Your Colors to Strengthen Your Body and Health
If eating that many vegetables seems overwhelming, just think about the colors.
- Get your blue and purples like blueberries and plums to reduce the risk of cancer and protect your urinary tract.
- Eat green vegetables like broccoli and celery to protect your bones, teeth and eyes.
- Consume your whites like mushrooms and onions for healthy heart function.
- Eat foods like oranges and carrots to boost your immune system from yellow and orange fruits and vegetables.
- Finally, get your reds from foods like apples and beets for memory function and heart health.
All of these fruits and vegetables have healing qualities and you’ll feel the difference. If you can’t eat this much or don’t have the time, drink juices made from a vegetable juicer, a great way to get the nutrients you need.
In addition to eating fruits and vegetables, cut down on saturated fats from processed foods and switch to healthy fats from nuts like almonds and vegetables including avocado. Try to rid your life of any processed foods. And of course, drink water so that you are flushing the toxins out your system and staying hydrated.